World number 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the upcoming US Open because of a knee problem.
The Italian player has not been on the court since triumphing at Wimbledon last month.
Jannik’s announcement comes just 24 hours after his biggest competitor for the Grand Slam titles lately, Carlos Alcaraz, said he will play in New York after being out with a wrist problem for the last 4 months.
With Alcaraz out of the picture in the last several months, Jannik has dominated the men’s tour this year and is at the top of the world rankings.
The Italian lifted his 5th career Grand Slam singles trophy by defeating Alexander Zverev in the All England Club final.
“Even though I did everything possible to be ready for the upcoming US Open, I must take the difficult decision to withdraw as I’m not healthy enough to compete,” shared Sinner.
“I have been back on the court in Monte Carlo in the last few days, and I saw that I’m not ready to compete as I need more time to recover from my right knee problem.”
Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year. We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I… pic.twitter.com/9eoYS29jpO
— Jannik Sinner (@janniksin) August 21, 2026
Djokovic eliminates Sinner after five-set 1/2 final thriller vs Sinner
Djokovic says Sinner and Alcaraz are playing ‘close to perfection’
Jannik Sinner closes in on Alcaraz after China Open win 